Pages

Friday, February 29, 2008

Sabbath Observance

In the course of study for the coming Lord's Day, I found this searching statement from John Eadie, Paul: The Preacher, 297-298.

Speaking of Paul preaching on the Lord's Day to the congregation at Troas (Acts 20:7ff.) Eadie comments:

The disciples must have rejoiced at their privilege, and eagerly embraced it. What could keep any of them back from enjoying Paul? Alas! that so many in modern times regard so little the first day of the week...or otherwise [profane] it in the pursuit of lawless pleasure or pastime. And even of those who "come together," how many stay away for very trivial reasons, a passing cloud throwing a chiller shadow upon their souls than it does upon the earth, and betokening a fall in their religious affections deeper than the depression of the barometer. If one may thus absent himself, why may not all; the minister, too, as well as any of the people? Who keeps at home for such paltry reason from a scene of secular enjoyment, or the place of ordinary business? Are there not many sicknesses so cunning in their coming and going, so endowed with forethought as never to invade a weekday, but to appear with the dawn of the Sabbath and disappear on its evening? Is it not a law of our nature that difficulties grow with indulgence, and if weather regulate church-going, other barriers will soon make themselves be felt - irregularity followed by long pauses, and ending in utter spiritual remissness and death. Does not such fluctuation in duty deprive one of the divine promise, and may it not rob him of the very word which was adapted to his benefit? And if heaven is an eternal Sabbath for which this recurring Sabbath prepares, how can any one hope to enjoy it who cries out as to "the weariness" of the periodical rest on earth - who finds not exceeding luxury in...worship, or who regards not the day which God has blessed and sanctified as the happiest, holiest day of all the seven?

3 comments:

dapalma said...

AMEN!!!

I long to so eloquently articulate such thought!

David

lucidstates said...

Bravo! Splendid! Superbly well put I must say!
I feel the same way! It so troubles my heart when I see family members or friends of many and few years, refuse to go to church, or even refuse to pause and stop working for just one day out of seven.
My Dad used to do this. He for many years was a workaholic and just as soon as church was over, he was immediately back at work.
How I rejoice in seeing the Lord's mighty Hand in my dad's life, as he now rests on the Lord's Day, worships, helps with church functions, studies, prays and fellowships with other believers and family.
I used to do the same too. But the Lord has given me more peace and more joy and alas, my bills are no more a burden to me now as they were when I worked 7 days a week.
It reminds me of tithing. I used to work 7 days a week, doubles on weekends, and didn't tithe, yet I was always behind on bills, struggling to make ends meet, overworked, coveting every penny I got, giving Nothing to the building of His Kingdom, and utterly spiritually dry.
Since He got through to my heart and head, I have been tithing for almost 2 years and resting on His Day about 90% of those in the last 2 years and my bills are nearly never behind, I have no debt anymore, I enjoy one day a week for sure, I work 5 days now instead of 7, and His money that's been entrusted to me has NEVER stretched so far.
He is a trustworthy time and money manager. He is faithful always. The problem is most people won't trust Him as far as even trying it out for a week or a month. But He IS trustworthy and faithful :-D
Prosperity Gospel? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But He does say to test Him in this and He is faithful to take care of me. I trust Him implicitly, by His grace and it's wonderful to lay my cares at His feet day by day, never worrying what I shall eat, or wear or sleep under. He is an amazing God!

Jonathan

Anonymous said...

Excellent thoughts. I assume,though, that an ice or snow storm forcing the cancelation of Lord's Day services would not be included under the indulgent allowing of weather to regulate church-going. I live in Northern Indiana where the light of nature and Christian prudence require that we not endanger the lives of our church people by asking them to travel on ice covered roads. We love the Lord's Day here and seek to keep it holy.
Nice to have you back on your blog.
Aaron