Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

I'm so excited, and I just can't hide it...UPDATED



Sorry for the 80's music reference, but it captures something of my excitement to learn this morning that Robert Rollock's A Treatise on Effectual Calling has just been published as a part of the Select Works of Robert Rollock, 2 vols (Reformation Heritage). It is pricey, but well worth it. You can cough up your 68.00 + shipping here: http://www.heritagebooks.org/bookstore/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=2199&products_id=8389&osCsid=jtql597uvj8dbi89bt705mch13

Rollock (d. 1598) was the first principle of Edinburgh University, and was a polific author in his day. His Treatise, however, is most significant, because it is a seminal work on the doctrine of the covenants.

I was able to read a few selections from this work while in seminary, but I have long since pined for its publication for several reasons. Selfishly, I wanted a copy (hint, my birthday is March 23rd); but more important, the Reformed world desperately needs to understand its rich theological heritage. Rollock's work demolishes the argument that such doctrines as the covenant of works and the covenant of redemption are late accretions that corrupted the more pristine Reformed biblical theology of an earlier generation. The Treatise demonstrates that these doctrines are not ancilary to the system of theology. No, covenant theology remains the super-structure, the skeleton, of the Reformed system.

Warfield was right when he opined that covenant theology is the architechtonic principle of Reformed theology. It is the governing or structuring principle of the Reformed system. Indeed, classical covenant theology is the marrow of Reformed (and biblical) theology. Rollock's Treatise will only prove Warfield's observation correct, and, God willing, will inform a new generation of Christ's people how to read the Bible as it was meant to be read.
UPDATE: I received a copy of Rollock for my birthday this last week. Thanks family.

4 comments:

dapalma said...

Inform a very RICH generation!!! Hehe... this sounds like one to save for! Do we have a church library started? I would love to start building a library for our congregation to get there hands on these kinds of materials! anyways thanks for the heads up on this selected work!

David

Stefan said...

Trust me, the price is worth it.

I had a seminary prof that recommended a book to us the first day of class by asking if we had bought our groceries yet. Now, that book was significantly less expensive, but the point stands. Sometimes a book is more valuable than food.

As for the church library, it's a great idea, but we currently have no space for it. Let me mull it over a bit, and we'll see.

Stefan

dapalma said...

Your response gave me an idea... And one that might be slightly taking advantage of your response... :)

I would be happy to keep the library and maintain it at my house, I could organize it and keep it indexed online and leave a library catalogue at church so people could see what is available and request and return books accordingly... and whoever wants a book I could bring it to them every sunday.

What a great idea you are probably thinking... Hehe I know I would love to have access to such library. I could read till my head explodes!!

Anyways just an idea... If you have any let me know.

David

lucidstates said...

That is something that I've seen lacking at many church's, their "libraries."
The congregation needs their church's to maintain libraries. It is something that benefits us greatly as I know that my mom and sister borrow from their church's library all the time and I've borrowed 2 books from their's, hehe. It is a huge plus for the equipping of the saints!
I know what some might say, "Oh but we need someone to catalog it, keep it orderly, maintain it, etc. etc." and that is what the church body is for, to take people and their skills and employ them (without pay, hehe) and get the body more active in God's work.
I know that at my mom's church, they have taken quite some time to get it going, but each week, 2 people just sit at the computer for an hour or two and type away, make labels, check the inventory, etc.
I know it takes sacrifice, but if a body of believers is unwilling to sacrifice for Christ's Body (the rest of believers), then something is amiss amongst that body of believers. An inactive body is no body at all, look that up, it Scriptural.
That is why I say most church's I've been to lack such an important resource for the flock, as a library. Believe you me, the last thing we need is to send "weaker" believers into todays Christian Bookstores! They are filled with so much garbage, it would blow the Apostle's minds, hahahaha.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Jonathan